Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sound Relief - Part 2

Okay where was I up to. Then we had celebrity time, the princes (Willy and his bro), the queen of pop, Kylie (wow, not!) then Wolfmother who didn't inspire me at all.
Then finally Hunters. Mark Seymour is great. Seeing so many artists together you get some feeling into their passion and despite the fact I really love his music he seems to be motivated by bitterness and angst, with a touch of love. Interestingly he dedicated throw your arms around me to his mother which I thought was a love song. Weird.
Around this time we also heard Hoodoo Gurus for a 3 seconds and Icehouse (Iva Davies) who really rocked and sang Great southern land with the same passion as when he wrote it 28 years (according to him).

Then there was Split Enz, frankly they were the best for me. I had forgotten that I would know all there songs (they were my first tv week pin up), they still play with the same passion and simply appear to be motivated by music and performing it. Tim Finn with his mop of white hair still shaped very similar to years past, made it look amazing. It was just right. Then the keyboardist did a solo, it was a classical piece I should know and it silenced the staduim. It was brilliant.

We heard most of Midnight Oil (I wanted to exit before the drunked rush as most people were still there), what everyone but me was waiting for. The first song was awful. I was worried that the once respected muscian, now terrible policitician was going to disgrace himself, luckily for him after the first song his nerves must have disappeaered as suddenly he was back.

It was the most amazing day and night but to be honest my only comment on the negative side would be the alcohol. It was unnecessary. Having been to big day out's where alcohol is only in certain areas I could see it could ahve been down without. It is always dissapointing seeing really drunk people at these events as they miss out on the fun. It also brings out the gross antisocial behaviour. In front of us were they 2 teenagers and they were gorgeous, with a parent fortunately, by the end there were a group of slimy drunks who had moved themselves into a few vacant seats near them and were just learing. It was foul. With out the alcohol this would have been less likley.
Don't get me wrong I love my red wine and champagne but don't thing big events and alcohol mix.

Anyway this was an expereince that I will always remember not only because of its cause but the chance to see so many awesome proformers.

No comments: