Friday, March 13, 2009

the dilema of fruit and vegies

okay it goes like this. I started with the Aussie farmers boxes which were great, except for the excess of carrots, oranges and apples. you can stew apples at least. I liked the fact they were local produce. I decided to experiment and moved to organics on line. The variety was much better, they recycled the boxes and had less total packaging of the produce. But being only organic they sourced the gear from where ever and this included New Zealand. So the carbon foot print of getting it to my door was high.
Aussie - less variety, lots of packaging, no box recycling
Organics - not local produce (good produce, box recycling and mim packaging)
I tried calling organic angels and the guy on the phone was rude and told me if i wanted to try them just order on line and I tried another local company that sent the stock in polystyrene and was awful produce.
So it is Organics on line currently, but I am seeking a group that meets all my requirements. I like the box delivery as it works out cheaper as you have less wastage and I really only have to buy avocados and an odd other thing, and it forces to cook with variety (well me anyway as i hate wastage).

3 comments:

WaffleGirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WaffleGirl said...

Whoops! Thought I was posting to another blog, didn't realize this was _yours_ =P

Ben's brother is starting up his organics delivery business called Miss Organic shortly - you might want to try them out? We are going to give it go...

They are lauching at the end of March.

Maybe check them out when they are up and running? http://www.missorganic.com.au/

Cheers,

M =)

Dreamer said...

Thanks. I have been keeoing them in mind.
Cheers Karen